How are you dealing with Brexit ?
Thursday 17th October 2019
Are you ready for Brexit?
Uncertainty still exists regarding the UK's departure from the EU, and it is difficult to tell how this will affect the general public and business, especially with movement of goods within the EU.
Here are a few basic things that you can do to prepare
1. Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number. These need to be obtained if you are exporting or importing any goods outside the EU. This relates to any taxes or duties that will be paid relating to the import/export. If you do not have an EORI number, you can apply via the Government portal [https://www.gov.uk/eori] which is free.
2. It is highly likely that customs documents will be required for all exports and imports. Apollo will complete all your customs documentation, but we will require the following information to ensure a speedy process:
- Company Name
- Contact Name
- Full address with zip code
- Telephone number
- Dimensions and weight of each item
- Description of each item (a commodity code needs to be provided)
- Value of each item
- Whether insurance is required
Paperless commercial invoices will be created to reduce delays together with the option for the shipper or recipients decision to pay any taxes and duties i.e often shippers decision to pay any taxes and duties results in the consignments being released quickly and billed to your account.
3. Initially there will be some issues regarding trade and procedures which may inevitably lead to delays for express and economy shipments. As a result of the increase in transit times, please ensure that you book your shipments early so that your deadlines can be met.
As a brokerage service we work with all the major carriers to ensure the most cost effective price and fastest transit times. We will continue to review procedures and keep you up to date of any amendments.